A healthy dosage of Indian food can cure every mood! India has a treasure pot of vegetarian options that are not just easy to make, but also comes with multiple health benefits. Bitter Gourd is one such vegetable. Bitter as the name suggests, but I have many sweet memories attached to this vegetable. My sister and I grew up loving it and I can eat it just the way my mom would prepare this any day!
It was part of our Sunday lunch tradition, and my sister & I would fight for that bite. Coincidentally when I got married, I found out that my husband loved it equally. All the more reason to continue the tradition. We haven’t included it into our Sunday menu yet, but it definitely brings a smile to our faces. So, here it is for you to try this at home, and of course don’t forget to Gobble Gobble!!
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2-3)
2-3 cups sliced bitter gourd
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp dry mango powder
salt – to taste
2-3 tbsp water
- Wash and trim the bitter gourd. Do not peal the shell completely.
- Slice and pat dry them. Add some salt and leave it for 20min before cooking.
- Slice the onion vertically.
- Heat the pan with olive oil, and saute the onions for about 2-3min.
- Add the sliced bitter gourd and cover them for 5min.
- Add the spices – turmeric, coriander powder and dry mango powder, and mix well.
- Add the 2 tbsp of water.
- Let them cook for a few minutes on slow flame. This will make it a bit crispy.
- Add salt to taste.
- Enjoy it with Indian bread (Roti)