Chicken soup for the healthy soul!! And don’t we all love our chicken soups. One of my room mates used to make the most amazing chicken soups and that was her grandma’s recipe. I never got a hold of that recipe, but I will keep experimenting until I find the perfect one. The below recipe has been one of the versions which has kept me warm on many cold nights.
I would love to hear more about your grandma’s chicken soup, and who knows I might find my perfect recipe from yours! Gobble gobble people!!
for the soup:
1 cup dry garbanzo beans (soaked overnight) or 1 can of garbanzo beans (rinsed and strained)
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup diced onion
2 cups chopped kale
1/2 cup diced carrots
1-2 cups cooked chicken – shredded or cut into small pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic minced
2 bay leaves
2 buds of cloves
1-2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp grounded black pepper
salt to taste
for the side:
2 boiled potatoes, sliced
5-6 boiled green beans, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1tsp ground black pepper
1tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
- Add bay leaves and the buds of cloves to 2 tbsp olive oil and heat on medium heat.
- Sauté onion in it until tender. Add minced garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, garbanzo beans, carrots and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat until beans and carrots are tender.
- Add cooked chicken, and chopped kale. Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper, soy sauce, chill flakes and lemon juice and simmer for a few minutes.
- When the chicken stock and beans are cooking, you can boil the potatoes and green beans on the side. Sauté them with olive oil, black pepper and salt for about 6-8 minutes.
- You can now serve the soup. Place the potatoes and beans on the side, squeeze some lemon juice on it and garnish with some chopped cilantro.
Note: If you are not using canned garbanzo beans, then you would need to boil them for 30min before adding them to the stock.